Sussex Homemove Relaunch Chaos

Sussex Homemove Relaunch Chaos: Thousands Affected in Brighton and Hove

Sussex Homemove the system used by local councils such as Brighton and Hove City Council & Lewes District Council has crashed. Those registered on the Housing Register was relaunched this week.

Residents have been reporting issues since last week. Originally Brighton and Hove City Council confirmed login details would be sent to those registered on Homemove last Friday.

Relaunched today the new multi million pound system and website has been modernised for more accessibility has had teething issues.

Common Issues Reported include; website crashes, login details not working and data transfer issues.

Brighton and Hove Housing Coalition have started a new Sussex Homemove advice and support facebook group to assist those on the housing register. Please do get yourself onto the group if you are registered with Homemove.

One user reported incorrect details and information have been transferred, reverting back to historic info.
The resident who is living in Temporary Accommodation claims, two children are missing from the application.

They contacted Brighton and Hove City Councils Homemove Service, who confirmed this has affected thousands and thousands of residents.

The new system will give users more info such as more detailed property adverts. The previous bids section now shows users where they placed for the previous property bids.

One resident said “Dan Harris it’s so much better knowing how close you were”

Sussex Homemove Login Issues: Cant be identified

login Issues

One user stated “cant identify me”

Another user replied:

“Mine keeps doing this then when I go in it only took me to account details and then only had 2 of us down as living and wouldn’t let me add anything else.

I have emailed homemove team but its ridiculously stressful 😩”.

Brighton and Hove City Council Have Have Released No Statements On The Relaunch Issue

The Council released news of a successful bid from the government for emergency funding to help with the homelessness crisis. The council said:

“We’ve been awarded around £3.4 million to provide immediate short-term accommodation and support this financial year, and around £3 million to provide longer term sustainable housing options for the people accommodated. 

The funding is ring-fenced to support the 369 people we were accommodating at the end of September and anyone subsequently found to be sleeping rough in the city.”

Sussex Homemove Help, Support and Advice Facebook Group

Sussex Homemove Users can join the help, advice and support facebook group for assistance From the link above.

If you want to provide feedback to Brighton and Hove Housing Coalition you can do so via their website.

Brighton and Hove City Council: Crackdown On The Vulnerable

ETHRAG Press Release 27th November 2017

Brighton and Hove City Council residents living in temporary accommodation confirm they’re being made homeless and forced to decide whether to sleep rough or move into the private sector.


ethrag-logo-brighton-hove-temporary-accommodationDistressed residents have contacted ETHRAG claiming that Brighton and Hove City Council are breaking the law and removing there housing duty, which councils are required to provide accepted homeless households.

For sometime now the Labour Group have been warning things need to change in Temporary Accommodation, which they blame on government cuts. ETHRAG have been contacted by concerned residents who claim they are victims of lies from bad landlords and the council and are being forced to choose between living on the streets, or being moved into the ever increasingly insecure private housing sector. 


One resident who wishes to remain anonymous has said

I’ve been to the Council and they are not helping me, I’ve been told I’ve got a be out of my accommodation in matter of weeks. I have nowhere to go, the council aren’t helping me,  I ‘am 23 and have depression and anxiety, I’ve got a try find somewhere and fast they say.

The concerned resident also explained:

Brighton Council placed me in long term temporary in 2015 but now I have been told I am being evicted. They have discharged duty of care for me they told me I’ve got a find private.

The minority Labour council led by Warren Morgan recently reported a 1 million pound overspend in temporary accommodation budgets, which is the plausible reason as to why this is happening, but is this right?


Another young mother confirmed:

Brighton Council housing department passed my details to social services because I have two children and they simply said they cant help, and that I need to go private

With rents in Brighton and Hove well above the Local Housing Allowance maximum payment rate, our residents feel like they are being socially cleansed from the city they were born.


Finally another resident contacted us today to confirm:

I’m not sure if you can help me but I’m in temporary accommodation. I received a call from the Housing Acquisitions Team yesterday.

They had called to arrange a meeting between the landlord, a council rep and myself this morning. The call was very vague but basically the council are attempting to make my contract a private one between the landlord and myself. I don’t want this.

I’m now terrified that I’ll become a private tenant and removed from the housing register. I’ve got an appointment at my local MP’s surgery on Monday and I’ve made my mental health team aware. I’ve managed to put the council meeting on hold. Do you know of anyone else who has been in this situation?

ETHRAG have referred residents to the newly Elected Labour MP for Brighton Kemptown Lloyd Russell-Moyle for help. We urge Lloyd and other MPs to stand up for vulnerable constituents and speak out in parliament against these draconian policies, which are leaving our residents at breaking point.


Have You Been Affected By This Issue?

If so we want to hear from you! Right now we know the council are doing this in phases, gradually removing their legal duty to house you, this is potentially putting your household through more upset as the number one reason for homelessness applications is because of private landlords evicting tenants.

We urge you to take a stand and speak out; this is your future and the council are messing with it.


Who are ETHRAG?

ETHRAG (The Emergency And Temporary Accommodation Residents Action Group) represents 4,000 people living in emergency and temporary accommodation in Brighton and Hove.

Formed in 2016 to fight back against cuts, bad landlords and a council-housing department, which is not fit for purpose, we are the UK’s first residents association for people living in Emergency and Temporary Accommodation.

We provide a voice for the vulnerable.


CASH STRAPPED AND TRAPPED: Growing Concern for Brighton Residents

Brighton and Hove have a housing crisis and its about to get exposed, last year I was the first campaigner locally to highlight the fact that 10,000 people locally were culled from the council housing waiting list, and just last weekend a senior council executive admitted the council are at a loose end with the cities Emergency and Temporary Accommodation.

I’ve recently been contacted by concerned residents living in temporary accommodation in the city, it turns out there are hundreds of vulnerable people currently in arrears due to the high cost to sub-contract out temporary accommodation to private companies.

One concerned mother has reported being told she would need to find an extra £175 per week toward her rent, not only was she forced to move out of the city, she is today in debt of over £1500.


Residents are at breaking point, not only with threat of eviction but they are also reporting being ‘overlooked’ for council housing due to the arrears. One mother described “being trapped” with high rents, often unaffordable.

This is a growing concern because under the Housing Act Part 7: Homelessness Councils have a duty to provide accommodation to families which are suitable for there needs, however if they are unaffordable they are certainly unsuitable.


Emergency and Temporary Accommodation: FACTS

  • MORE than a third of the city’s 2,200 temporary accommodation residents are in rent arrears with debts of up to £22,000, as revealed in the Argus earlier this year.
  • Almost 900 families and individuals housed by Brighton and Hove City Council in bedsits, hostels, flats and BnBs had rent arrears totalling £1.4 million in March.
  • 64% Rise in the number of Children in Brighton and Hove without a home. Now almost 2000 children are living in emergency and temporary accommodation, second only to London. (For Sussex it is 2700, a rise of 33%.)
  • There were 24,000 people on the council housing waiting list until Band D was removed, I believe 12k people have been removed, with no hope of a secure home for themselves.
  • For every 100 people who present as homeless to the council, just 35 or 35% are accepted with a priority need housing duty. The national average is 52%.

Join ETHRAG: Emergency and Temporary Housing Residents Action Group


Have you been affected by arrears?

If you have contact me below with details.


If you enjoy my blog feel free to donate, I often fund things out of my own pocket.

£5 can part fund a residents meeting for those in emergency and temporary accommodation, vital for uniting people to stop conditions like these!

£5.00